Get Ready to Celebrate the Principalship
September 2017, Volume 41, Issue 1
Principals work hard to put their students first and create outstanding schools, yet their efforts are seldom properly recognized. That is why NAESP, the National Association of Secondary School Principals, and the American Federation of School Administrators have designated October 2017 as National Principals Month.
National Principals Month is a time to spotlight the crucial role principals play in school and student success. NAESP has planned a number of activities to commemorate the occasion and to spotlight principal leadership in both schools and communities.
For example, for the 34th year, NAESP will recognize the year’s National Distinguished Principals, Oct. 11-12 in Washington, D.C. Click here to locate your state’s winner, and then take the time to send your congratulations.
Here are additional ways we’re recognizing principals this month:
- Capitol Hill Event: On October 24, join a special Capitol Hill event featuring a panel of education leaders discussing the impact of education policy.
- Video Contest: Students can create fun videos about how much their principal means to them and submit them as part of a video contest. Deadline is September 29.
- #ThankAPrincipal: Students, teachers, and principals can share their school’s celebrations by posting on social media with #ThankAPrincipal. Join in! Access our social media toolkit for sample posts you can use.
- E-cards: Students, parents, and staff can send special e-cards to their principal.
- Webinars: Professional learning sessions will focus on topics and issues related to principals and leadership.
- Shadowing Day Visits: We encourage principals to take this opportunity to ask one of their members of Congress to shadow them for a day, so they can experience firsthand the responsibilities of exemplary principals.
- Action Alerts: In addition to shadowing visits, principals can visit NAESP’s Legislative Action Center to find legislators and send them an action alert email regarding current issues important to school leaders.
We hope that you join us in celebrating and spreading the word to your audiences about these activities and the many others you can discover at www.principalsmonth.org.
We would also love to hear how you’re planning to celebrate National Principals Month. Please let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, and we’ll share your celebrations on our social media channels.
Thank you in advance for your support of National Principals Month!
Copyright © 2017. National Association of Elementary School Principals. No part of the articles in NAESP magazines, newsletters, or website may be reproduced in any medium without the permission of the National Association of Elementary School Principals. For more information, view NAESP’s reprint policy.