Celebrate School Leadership During National Principal’s Month
In October, NAESP shines a light on the importance of principals and meeting their professional needs.
September, 2016, Volume 40, Issue 1
Each October, National Association of Elementary School Principals (NAESP), the National Association of Secondary School Principals (NASSP), and the American Federation of School Administrators (AFSA) invite communities nationwide to celebrate the critical role that principals play in school and student success.
And as we do every year, we have a number of activities planned to commemorate the occasion and to spotlight principal leadership among the education community and the general public:
- Capitol Hill Event: On October 13, join a special live-streamed Capitol Hill event, “Revolutionizing School Leadership Under ESSA.” Find details here.
- Video Contest: Students can create and participate in a video contest illustrating their appreciation for their principal.
- #ThankAPrincipal: Share pictures of your school’s celebrations by posting them to the photo gallery on the National Principals Month homepage and tweeting messages and pictures with #ThankAPrincipal.
- E-cards: Students, parents, and staff can send special e-cards to their principal.
- Webinars: Professional development sessions will focus on topics and issues concentrating on principals and leadership.
- Twitter Chats: Every Tuesday in October at 8 p.m. ET, join principals from across the nation to chat about digital learning. Join the conversation with the #ThankAPrincipal hashtag.
- Shadowing Day Visits: We encourage principals nationwide to take this opportunity to ask one of their members of Congress to shadow them for a day, so they can experience firsthand the responsibilities of exemplary principals.
Please visit www.principalsmonth.org to get more activity ideas and resources, and to learn more about this year’s National Principals Month. A social media toolkit is also available to provide you and your school with sample posts for National Principals Month.
Copyright © 2016. National Association of Elementary School Principals. No part of the articles in NAESP magazines, newsletters, or website may be reproduced in any medium without the permission of the National Association of Elementary School Principals. For more information, view NAESP’s reprint policy.