5 Healthy Habits for School Communities
As we look towards the finish line for the 2020–2021 school year, it is still important that students and educators continue practicing healthy habits. Staff should work together to remember, practice, and promote healthy habits in the classroom. Together, we can help minimize the spread of illness-causing germs, giving students the chance to be present in the classroom.
Here are five healthy habit reminders to continuously remind your school communities about.
- Practice healthy habits together. Practice good hygiene habits like covering coughs and sneezes, washing hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, and avoiding close contact with people who are sick.
- Remind each other of CDC recommended guidelines. The CDC recommends wearing masks to help prevent respiratory droplets from traveling into the air and onto other people. Remind each other to wear facial coverings and keep a social distance when possible to help prevent the spread of illness-causing germs. If there are specific instances when wearing a mask might not be feasible, consider adaptation and alternatives whenever possible.
- Encourage usage of Welcome Back Packs. They’re designed to help support in-person learning and can be downloaded and printed at lysol.com/HERE. They include fun and educational resources and materials such as posters, mirror clings, floor decals, and more to help schools educate students on healthy habits. It is always helpful to have reminders that we need to be practicing every single day around the school. NAESP members can request up to six teacher kits and up to two school kits—and they’re free! Opt in.
- Keep children home if they feel sick. Encourage parents to keep children home if they display signs of illness or had recent close contact with a person with COVID-19 to avoid spreading germs to other students and faculty.
- Promote and maintain a healthy lifestyle. Part of staying healthy is being healthy! It’s still important to encourage other healthy habits like getting plenty of sleep, drinking lots of water, maintaining a balanced diet, and staying physically active. Remind each other about everyday lifestyle healthy habit tips along with tips to help stop the spread of illness-causing germs.
For more information and to download the Welcome Back Packs, visit HERE for Healthy Schools.