18 Books to Add to Your Summer Reading List
Start filling out your summer reading list with these principal-approved books.
May 2019, Volume 42, Issue 9
We reached out to your peers in education on social media to find out what books are on their must-read lists for summer break. Principal tested—and approved—here are 18 books that have left a lasting impact on educators like you.
- Atomic Habits: An Easy and Proven Way to Build Good Habits and Break Bad Ones
by James Clear
- Culturize: Every Student. Every Day. Whatever It Takes.
by Jimmy Casas
- Dare to Lead: Brave Work. Tough Conversations. Whole Hearts.
by Brene Brown
- Ditch That Textbook: Practical Strategies to Help Make Homework Obsolete
by Matt Miller and Alice Keeler
- Empower Our Girls: Opening the Door for Girls to Achieve More
by Lynmara Colon and Adam Welcome
- Goals: How to Get Everything You Want Faster Than You Ever Thought Possible
by Brian Tracy
- Hacking School Discipline: 9 Ways to Create a Culture of Empathy and Responsibility Using Restorative Justice
by Nathan Maynard and Brad Weinstein
- The Innovator’s Mindset: Empower Learning, Unleash Talent, and Lead a Culture of Creativity
by George Couros
- Kids Deserve It: Pushing Boundaries and Challenging Conventional Thinking
by Adam Welcome and Todd Nesloney
- Lead with Literacy: A Pirate Leader’s Guide to Developing a Culture of Readers
by Mandy Ellis
- One Drop of Kindness
by Jeffrey Kubiac and Liliana Mora
- A Passion for Kindness: Making the World a Better Place to Lead, Love, and Learn
by Tamara Letter
- The Path to Serendipity: Discover the Gifts Along Life’s Journey
by Allyson Apsey
- Personality Plus: How to Understand Others by Understanding Yourself
by Florence Littauer
- Positive Words, Powerful Results: Simple Ways to Honor, Affirm, and Celebrate Life
by Hal Urban
- The Power of the Adolescent Brain: Strategies for Teaching Middle and High School Students
by Thomas Armstrong
- Reclaiming Our Calling: Hold on to the Heart, Mind, and Hope of Education
by Brad Gustafson
- Start With Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
by Simon Sinek
Looking for even more inspiration? Check out our 2018 Winter Reading List for other helpful books that focus on professional and personal advancement, child and staff development, and leadership.
Copyright © 2019. National Association of Elementary School Principals. No part of the articles in NAESP magazines, newsletters, or website may be reproduced in any medium without the permission of the National Association of Elementary School Principals. For more information, view NAESP’s reprint policy.