Help! I Need Somebody: SEL in the Workplace
Session notes from "Help! I Need Somebody: SEL in the Workplace," presented by Adam Drummond.
What was the speaker’s main message?
Where is your professional health?
What was the speaker’s best quote?
“All learning is social and we must feel safe to participate.”
What were the Top 5 ideas from the session?
- Give your teachers the space an opportunity to start the day in a positive way.
- Work to build authentic conversations with staff about the fears and anxieties about the work within the learning community.
- Be intentional about staff meeting design to allow for a safe space for staff.
- Social emotional learning is not separate from the instruction. It’s the fabric of how we teach and learn.
- The people who are doing the thinking are doing the learning. How are we as principals modeling for teachers what we want in collaboration in the classroom?
What is one strategy that you will implement immediately?
Allow for small group time for staff to share their thoughts in a safe and vulnerable space.
What is one idea that you want to learn more about?
Research neuroscience in social emotional learning.
Notes by Christopher Bailey, principal of Clack Middle School in Abilene, Texas.