Sections / Articles
Social Media Lounge: Charge Up, Hang Out, Dive In!
Whether you’re a tech-savvy principal or a newbie hoping to learn how social media can enhance your school leadership, NAESP’s Social Media Lounge has plenty to offer. It’s the best place for connected educators to share best practices and even discover some new ones!
Each day of the conference, the Social Media Lounge will host informal sessions designed to help improve your technology skills. Principal social media ambassadors will lead discussions and share their tips on using social media in school. Beginners can learn the basics of tools like Twitter and how hash tags—like #naesp13—work. Pros and novices alike will walk away with great new tools and a working knowledge of how to use them. Make sure to BYOD (bring your own device) if you’ve got one!
You can attend some of the sessions below, or just stop by throughout the day to connect with tech-minded colleagues.
Thursday, July 11
Hours: 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
- 9:30–10:30 a.m. – Professional Learning Networks (PLNs): Learn how to become a connected leader through this informative session, and network with other principals. Develop time-saving strategies to help you squeeze online professional learning into your schedule.
- 1:30–2:45 p.m. – Twitter 101: Learn the basics of using Twitter, including hash tags, tweet ups, and best practices. Exchange tips on how to help to guide your staff to be more "social media literate."
Friday, July 12
Hours: 9 a.m.–3 p.m.
- 10:30 am–Noon – Engage Families & Community with Social Media: Download and learn which social media tools you can use to maximize family and community engagement. Learn how to craft your own school message and tell your school's story.
- 1:30–2:45 p.m. – Skype & Google Hangouts: Learn the basics of using Skype and Google Hangouts. Learn how to use these tools for personal learning and in the classroom.
Saturday, July 13
Hours: 8 a.m.–2 p.m.
- 9:00–10:15 a.m. – "Best of the Best" Apps: Walk away with 10 recommended apps to help you engage with students and teachers, and to fulfill your own professional needs.
- 11:45–12:15 p.m. – Crafting a Social Media Policy for Your School: Learn tips and strategies for effectively dealing with social media issues in your school.
Copyright © National Association of Elementary School Principals. No part of the articles in NAESP magazines, newsletters, or Web site may be reproduced in any medium without the permission of the National Association of Elementary School Principals. For more information, view NAESP's reprint policy.