Sections / Articles
Web Resources: September/October 2013
Bright and Early – Sam Oertwig & Sharon Ritchie
- The PreK-3rd Grade National Work Group website provides information briefs and webinars regarding policies and practices from experts across the country.
- The May/June 2011 issue of Principal focused on Early Learning, with articles on the impact on the achievement gap, measurement and assessments, and principal preparation.
It’s Playtime! – Joan Almon
- The Literacy Guide, developed by Bank Street College, describes the stages of literacy development in preschool, kindergarten, and the early grades, and what to expect from children at each stage.
- Crisis in the Kindergarten: Why Children Need to Play in School, a report by the Alliance for Childhood, examines new research on how much time kindergartens spend on cognitive instruction vs. play-based learning and some of the ill effects of current practices.
Building a Foundation for Literacy and Learning – Kathy Ward-Cameron
- Watch a short video in which David Dickinson discusses Vanderbilt University’s research on learning in preschool.
- Read the transcript of an interview with Robert Pianta on early literacy.
- Listen to the NAESP Radio podcast, “Early Moves That Create a Continuum of Learning Success,” where host Gail Connelly discusses the state of early learning with Deborah Leong.
Power of Pre-K – Rebecca Stephens
- Visit the FirstSchool Initiative website for an in-depth description of the program’s philosophy and framework.
- Explore NAESP’s Early Childhood Education webpage to find resources and policy statements on P-3 alignment, including recommendations from NAESP’s Task Force on Early Learning.
World-Class Collaboration: Q&A With Maureen Keithley
- Listen to Maureen Keithley’s entire interview about English-language learners on NAESP Radio.
- Visit the Principal magazine archive to access Nancy Protheroe’s Research Report, “Effective Instruction for English-language Learners.”
Going Green – Fred Barch
- The Department of Education’s Green Strides Webinar Series provides school communities with tools to reduce environmental impact, improve health and wellness, and teach effective environmental education.
- NAESP’s Green Schools page provides resources for school leaders to improve environmental literacy and foster 21st century skills.