Sections / Articles
Web Resources: January/February 2014
Testing To, and Beyond, the Common Core—Linda Darling-Hammond
- “Implementing the Common Core State Standards,” a joint action brief from NAESP, outlines the role of elementary school principals in CCSS implementation.
- NAESP’s Common Core Implementation Checklist is an easy to use worksheet for school leaders to ensure their school is CCSS ready.
- The Sept/Oct issue of Principal magazine focused on aspects of Common Core implementation such as considering students with disabilities, English language arts standards, and using technology.
Common Core Assessments: A Principal’s View—Lucille McAssey
- The Parents’ Guide to Student Success, developed by the National PTA, provides information for parents—in both English and Spanish—about what students are expected to know at each grade level under CCSS.
- Stay ahead of the tech curve by using this CCSS crosswalk tool to pinpoint areas where technology can support standards.
- Read “Schools as Effective Data Users,” in Principal magazine’s archives, to find out more about how to implement data-based solutions in your school.
The DNA of Productive Principal Evaluation— Joseph Murphy, Ellen Goldring, & Andrew Porter
- The Wallace Foundation has numerous resources on principal evaluation, including tools & worksheets for principal improvement.
- NAESP’s report, “Rethinking Principal Evaluation,” outlines the key domains of school leadership, and essential features for evaluation systems.
Experience ELL Shadowing—Ivannia Soto
- Debbie Zacarian explains how to help English-language learners thrive by introducing academic language in her Principal magazine article, “Crossing Language Barriers.”
- Find a broad range of resources, lesson plans, and teaching tips for English-language instruction from everythingESL.net.
Untying the “Nots” of Bullying Prevention—Jim Dillon
- Learn more about and find tools for using positive behavior supports to prevent bullying at Center on Positive Behavioral Interventions & Supports.
- Visit NAESP’s bullying prevention resource page for books, sample bullying policies, and handouts for parents.
- Hear advice from school culture experts in the video How to Set an Example to Help Prevent Bullying: An Educator’s Perspective on the Center for Leadership and Bullying Prevention at Measurement Incorporated’s website.